How Do I...?

  1. How do I get a copy of a police or traffic accident report?
    Please call the Records Section at 415-927-5150 to confirm the report is available. Reports are usually read for pick up in about 7-10 business days. Reports cost: $10.00, Log Entry cost: $3.00, Certain offense reports may not be released if the case is active or under investigation. No juvenile information will be released.

  2. I will be out of town for a week. Will the police watch my home?
    Yes. This is what we call a "Vacation Watch." Please call, 415-927-5150 to request a Vacation Watch. Please have the following information available when you call: Trip dates and emergency contact numbers. When you call, we may ask additional questions about the vacancy of your home.

  3. When does the police department do public fingerprinting?
    We do not do public fingerprinting. You may contact the Marin County Sheriff's Office at 415-479-2311.

  4. How can I check on the status of my criminal investigation?
    Contact the specific investigative unit at 415-927-5150 or the Marin County District Attorney's Office at 415-499-6450.

  5. How do I find out if someone has been arrested?
    Please call CMPA Dispatch at 415-927-5150.

  6. How do I get my car out of impound?
    First, you will need to provide us with the vehicle license plate number or the vehicle identification number. If you are the owner, you must have a valid California Driver license. If the vehicle is currently registered, you need to call the Traffic Unit at 415-927-5150 for a Tow Hearing. You will be responsible for towing and storage fees to the tow company. You may also be responsible for administrative fees to CMPA. There are vehicle codes and municipal codes that allow CMPA to charge up to $314.00. If your vehicle was impounded for Driving Without a License and has been previously towed for the same violation, it may be held up to 30 days. You will have to contact the Traffic Unit at 415-927-5150. You will have to contact the Records Section to obtain a release at 415-927-5150.

  7. How do I get a police employee to speak to my group?
    You may call the Watch Commander at 415-927-5150.