Central Marin Police Authority Consolidation Summary
Over the past three years the Twin Cities Police Authority and the San Anselmo Police Department have been collaboratively working together toward Police Consolidation through the sharing of services. This sharing of services has allowed each agency to increase the resources available to them while reducing redundancies.
The total number of police personnel employed by the two agencies prior to the sharing of services was 70. Today, three years after the sharing of services began; the total number of police employees is 58. This represents a reduction of 12 full-time paid and benefitted employees. This was accomplished by reducing the number of redundant positions between the two organizations and better utilizing personnel to address policing issues that are important to all three communities.
Other benefits of shared police services are as follows:
• Increased the patrol forces in San Anselmo, Larkspur and Corte Madera by two police officers to improve visibility and deter crime.
• Increased our Detective Unit to five full-time investigators.
• Added a Directed Patrol Unit made up of two Patrol Officers and one Corporal to address specific crime problems that might arise.
• Consolidated dispatch from two communications centers into one.
• Consolidated our reserve police officers, doubling our size and capabilities.
• Consolidated our traffic unit, which qualified us for $72,000 in State grant funds.
• Reduced overtime costs.
• Reduced the cost associated with the redundant purchase of new and replacement equipment.
The Twin Cities and San Anselmo Police Departments, when faced with the objective of maintaining services with fewer resources, teamed together and formed a partnership that transformed our departments into a much leaner single organization.
Now we are taking the next step toward a consolidated police organization that has the resources to address any situation, provide the policing services our communities have come to expect, and bear the responsibility of improving the quality of life for all those who live, work or visit San Anselmo, Larkspur, Corte Madera and portions of Greenbrae.